Sunday, July 7, 2013

Sunday Night WIPS: The Southern Dandy! (and friend)

I was a little down on painting after yesterday's goblins; I think I really savaged those goblin archer faces. I forged ahead, however, into the Legend of Drizzt characters, and I'm glad I did so, because painting these guys was a hoot! Here's Jaraxle the drow and Artemis the human assassin!

Jaxaxle is dressed entirely in cloth, with lots of cool folds. I tried to ink instead of wash, applying thin dark lines to the folds instead of dipping him in a black wash. I needed to reapply the base (I think this is a glaze?) to blend things but it turned out looking like I wanted it to. I was also able to pull an expression off of this facial sculpt even though he's painted in Drow Black... I like the level of purple highlights applied, making features visible while leaving him with black and not purple skin.

Jaraxle has a big feathered hat that the mini doesn't wear. Lamestorm!

I figured Artemis Entreri here was the sidekick to the Drow, but wikipedia tells me it's the other way around. He's an assassin, so I wanted to do more black than not, letting metallics define him like Priest-era Black Panther. I couldn't resist giving a sword-and-dagger rogue type a grey cloak though. I have a problem... still, he and Wulfgar are going to make plausible Leiber-heroes! Hmm, maybe I'll do him next...



No comments:

Post a Comment