Thursday, April 11, 2013

Journeys into the Matte Black

With my declared victory over Ravenloft, I'm moving on to Descent. I've got v1.0, v2.0, and Lair of the Wyrm, and want to paint up all of my figures to play through the Lair of the Wyrm mini-campaign in our boardgame club.

My first step is spray priming. I want to keep my heroes bright and they're getting a white undercoat. However, one of my lessons learned from Ravenloft is that the monsters needed a lot of black paint applied all over the place, so I'm spraying black down on the forces of the Overlord on day one.

Only the minions are getting paint; all my red monster bosses are untouched. This means I'll go back later and do them once I've got all my minions done, and they never look uniform. This way I'll apply what I learned on the schlubs to their bosses. More importantly, though, I never want to be left with an unplayable set and spray away the difference between commander and commandee.


The detail looks pretty good on these guys. My Ravenloft minis were tacky after spraypaint, but the black on the monsters dried nicely. The heroes got Krylon white and they're tacky, just like the Ravenloft stuff. Maybe the problem is the white paint! I thought I had run that down; my last attempt to basecoat white went through three different paint brands with the same results. I dunno, maybe everything will be black from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment