Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Ravenloft's Toughest Non-Villians



...unless you play with the Dungeon Command expansions! Then you've got to fight Skeletal Chargers, Tomb Guardians, Dracoliches... as I told Matt when we played the other last week, I can't help but want to kill characters, it's in my blood.

Anyway, gargoyles. These were low-hanging fruit as I began to paint the Ravenloft box. D&D says that gargoyles look like statues until they start moving and kill you, so any fleshy detail would not be canonical. Ergo, I painted these as stone.

Years ago I had a revelation; if I remember correctly it was when I was painting the shoulder cross-skull device on a Terminator. If you paint in matte black, then drybrush in light grey, you get a really good slate. It's easy and I've always liked how it looked.

So the gargoyles were base-coated in black, drybrushed in grey, got some gold eyes and white teeth, and I moved on. We appreciate their contribution to keeping this project on time and under budget.

No comments:

Post a Comment