Thursday, May 2, 2013

Let's Be Clear That This is a Frankenstein


Ravenloft has a Dracula and a Werewolf and a Frankenstein, but where's the Gillman? How much ass would the Saughin Baron have kicked it he was in this set?



My goal for this miniature was to drive the Frankenstein theme home, and that made acceptable the use of green skin tones to recall the Karloff version. I picked a standard tone for the face that wouldn't give me any highlighting and shading trouble, then varyied my alternate tones so that no like patches shared borders. He goes between pink and grey and green, so given his size, and the fact that he comes from a D&D world, I think he's a mix of Ogre, Troll, and Hill Giant parts. That's pretty cool.



Blue pants made the most sense from a color perspective, but I kept the blue as dark as possible. It's really hard not to give a medieval guy blue pants and have it look right, because they strongly imply jeans. Look at this Elven Arcane Archer from the WOTC prepaints: they probably just wanted some variants among their various earth-tones, but he appears to be rocking some 501s.



The effect I like the most on this guy is the flayed flesh and exposed muscle on the left arm. This was a basecoat of reddish-brown (the paint is called "Brownie," racist) and highlighing in a baseline red. The result is rich and deep with nothing threatening to be too white. I'm looking for another mini to use this effect on.

No comments:

Post a Comment