Sunday, May 19, 2013

The Count with the Clout! The Imperator of Incisors! The Baron of Bleh!


I saved Strahd for last, both presentation and actual painting. The thing is, when you're playing Ravenloft, you'll never use this mini! I've never put him on the board, we always play with new people and go through one of the other scenarios instead of hunting Strahd. But he needs to look good, and this is a good high fantasy, Wayne Reynoldsy vampire that doesn't go too Lugosi or Gene Colan Dracula.


I put some deep red on him (following the Spike principle) and made sure he had a Mr. T level of gold because dude's a count. For the sword, I laid down silver and followed with a clear blue. I see this as a Frostblade, which used to absolutely wreck me in Warhammer Fantasy Battle. If I was stating this guy up for D&D, I would try to convey that he could use his sword to achieve a TPK, but wants to feed instead.


I don't think the head came together very well. First there's the mouth, which just isn't working for me... it really looks different from the right or the left sides. Second I should have gone blue-grey and really sold the Vampire in the skin tone. Strahd is a little too pink and I couldn't remove that with highlights.

No comments:

Post a Comment