Friday, June 7, 2013

Bath Time!

The subject is miniatures that don't need undercoats, the problem is mold release chemical, and the solution is soapy water.

Tonight I filled a big tupperware full of Reaper Bones and the contents of Wrath of Ashardalon. The Bones shouldn't be primed, according to Reaper; you're supposed to apply the base coat right on the plastic. I've heard similar things about the D&D minis, although not from WOTC. But my last round of D&D stuff (from Ravenloft) was sprayed with three different types of paints, and they all came out tacky. But I've heard that the minis have mold release left on them from the casting, which can repel paint. This kind of dunking is standard practice in the world of customizing action figures, and there's little reason not to apply it here.

This will be my project for the next month. 6 Bones, 40 D&Ds... maybe a little more than a month, we'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment